August 19-How come nobody talks about Glen Pass?

Miles Hiked: 14.41  Total: 193.07
Elevation Gain: 4462 ft

“I will follow my instincts, be myself for good or ill, and see what will be the upshot. As long as I live, I will hear waterfalls and birds, and winds sing. I’ll interpret the rocks, learn the language of floods, storm, and the avalanche. I’ll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can.”
~John Muir

SON OF THE WILDERNESS - pub. 1945

[John]
We probably should have taken a day off, but we both were looking forward to getting to Whitney and the real food, showers, and laundry we knew would soon follow. So, tired we may have been, but we kept at it.

It was a long 9 mile slog from where we camped to the summit of Glen Pass. A few miles into it, Christi threw down her poles and tossed off her pack, stating the obvious: “I’m sick of climbing!” A sentiment I certainly understood, but I would not have wanted to bother picking up my poles or pack had I elected to toss mine onto the ground.

Trail leading toward Glen Pass
We both found Glen Pass harder than expected, probably because nobody ever says anything about it. It was probably the long slog getting there, more than the boulder hopping at the top, but our trail friends, Karen and “kids” certainly agreed when we chatted on the descent.

Regardless, Rae Lakes were beautiful on the way up and we enjoyed a hot couscous lunch at the upper lake before hitting the switchbacks for the last couple miles. Well, maybe “enjoyed” is a bit strong for food of which we were both tired, but the weather, water, and views were great! And, the views at the top of Glen were to die for, looking down on Rae Lakes and back toward Pinchot Pass and looking southeast toward Forester Pass.

Looking down from Glen Pass trail
It was unusually dry and arid as we descended toward the Kearsage Pass Trail junction. We were concerned about water for a bit, but were able to resupply near the Bullfrog Lake Trail junction, were we took a break to have some gorp.  We met Sean then, who had taken a couple days off and was coming up from the Onion Valley trailhead. He was a really nice young man from Vermont who we would next encounter as we descended Whitney and we enjoyed sharing trail tales with him.

We found a nice campsite down by Bubbs Creek at Upper Vidette Meadow, did our “laundry” and took our “baths” before we enjoyed another “gourmet” couscous dinner (followed by hot chocolate!).  My feet were a lot better but still needed attention.  Regardless, I had a good night’s sleep.

[Christi]
Final climb to Glen Pass
John was up at 5:30am to treat his feet to get them as ready as possible for this day's hike. We still didn't break camp until 7:15am.

Though yesterday's Pass wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be, my state of mind is still not good. I think the minimal calorie intake we've had and the extreme exertion of climbing pass after pass, day after day, is getting to me. I'm tired. I fell stronger physically than when we started the trail but I'm so tired of climbing, climbing, climbing. I also know that Forester is looming and it is the tallest pass we'll go over before heading to Whitney. I'm just a little concerned about the snow and trail conditions there. I'm sure that's weighing on me, too.

At the top of Glen Pass looking back
But, there's no way out except under my own steam so I might as well make the best of it. We climb, climb, climb to Rae Lakes and are treated to a gloriously beautiful valley surrounded by towering mountains and filled with lovely lakes and waterfalls everywhere.

I'm feeling better now, less tired, and ready to take Glen Pass, if only to get us closer to the last pass, Forester.

At the top of Glen Pass, you could look down at Rae Lakes and the surrounding area and see the breathtaking panorama of mountains and lakes we'd just hiked through the previous few days.  What an accomplishment!

John's feet are better today and that he'd be able to get down Glen Pass and 6 miles beyond it to our campsite for the night.  Yet again, this trail has kicked our butts.  We made it to Upper Vidette about 5:30 PM, exhausted, sore, and hungry.  We quickly setup camp (we're Pros now!), I "cooked" dinner, and then we were off to bed to repair and prepare for tomorrow's Forester Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment