Was it worth it?

First day on the trail - August 5, 2011
[John]
Seems like a silly question at this point. Without question, this was the most exhilarating and satisfying physical – mental - outdoor experience I have had in my adult life. I’m especially grateful to have shared the experience with the woman I love.

Sure it was demanding, but the scenery was continually among the most spectacular we’ve seen, the constant sound of flowing, rushing (tasty) water a peaceful and welcome respite from the drone of civilization, and the genuine kindness and lack of pretension among the trail community restored our faith in humanity.

There’s no question, I would do it again. If you’re thinking about doing it, DO IT!

[Christi]
This was by far the most difficult physical thing I've ever done in my life!  It's also one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had.

Someone asked me, shortly after we returned, if my relationship with my husband suffered during the experience. To tell you the truth I never gave it a thought that our relationship could suffer by the experience.  I guess I just expected we'd pull together and be stronger for it.  That's precisely what happened.  What I found was that we didn't function as individuals so much while on the trail. Instead,  we were a team that grew stronger and more in sync with each challenge and obstacle.  I don't think I've ever felt closer to him than while on the trail together.  An unexpected gift!

Another "bonus" was the feeling I had the days immediately following completion of the trail.  I don't think I was ever more centered, "present," and alive in my life than in the 3-7 days afterward.  If that feeling could be bottled and sold, I'd be first in line for regular doses!  Back in "reality", it's hard to find that peaceful feeling.

I have often been asked whether I'd do it again or not.  My answer had always been, "You never ask a woman if she wants to have another child if she's just given birth."  The answer would nearly always be NO!  But, in time, the painful memories fade and the wonderful memories persist and, before you know it, another one's on the way!

In my case, now that a couple of weeks have passed and I've had time to recover, reflect, and relive the memories while looking at the photos and reading/writing this blog, I have to say I'd most certainly do it again!

In the words of this trail's namesake, "The mountains are calling and I must go..." I hope to see you there!

(NOTE:  In  the September 11, 2011, New York Times, Nicholas D. Kristoff wrote an op-ed entitled,  We're Rich! (In Nature.)The article was about visiting our national parks and ensuring people visit and experience these natural wonders so these parks and wilderness areas will be preserved and not squandered. It's well worth the read and sharing with others.)


No comments:

Post a Comment